Pauls (many) jobs on the go.

olfrt

Re: Pauls (many) jobs on the go.

Post by olfrt »

Cster wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 am Crikey you have been busy. You put exhaust gas through the old tank to nullify the gas in it?? and now you go and get a new one? But?? how'd the welding go, aww I wanna know it worked.
Strewth that would have been a nice combo with the 750four.
Yep, exhaust gas to clear all the petrol fumes.Had to do that because you have to use a small gas fuelled soldering iron, (flames and fuel vapours dont mix well).
Plastic welding worked alright, but a new tank is a new tank.
Paul Butler #17758
Cster

Post by Cster »

It is remarkable how that works. Good for old gas bottles when ya want to make something new out of them.
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Bit of an update.
1. Sidecar is going fine, but we are sorta restricted on use here for a bit. Hoping some restrictions may be lifted later today so we can get out for a blast.
2. Van is causing me grief. I cannot get the VT electronic dashboard to 'talk' to the engine ECU for speedo and tacho reference. At the moment I'm using a GPS for speedo. More research required. It's running fine, doing everything else it should. At the moment it is straight LPG, but am thinking of making it dual fuel for longer range. The 90 litre gas tank I have fitted at the moment is taking up a fair bit of space in the cargo area, and is too big to fit underneath anywhere. More research needed. (It's a recurring theme).
3. Bedford project is moving along slowly. I've had the cab off and on a few times now checking how bits and pieces fit. I'll have the motor and gearbox sitting in place by the end of the weekend, then it's pull apart time again to clean everything up a bit and make it presentable. I'm not looking forward to the wiring on this one. :o
4. Mower is working fine, had Julia out on it for most of the day slashing the paddock ready for summer cleanup. :D
5. Almost finished the shed extension, made the sliding door frame, welded the tracks on, now just to finish sheeting the surrounding areas. :roll:
Paul Butler #17758
Ken

Post by Ken »

Looks like you've been keeping yourself very busy at home, Paul.
Over here in SA, life has been much more social. I'm up earlyish to get ready for today's club ride. Promises to be a good one, with beautiful weather.
We've been tootling around with our caravan a bit. Last outing with it was to Renmark for a lunch with Mallee branch.
Planning on a trip to Alice Springs soon, to see my nephew and his partner.
One of these days, we might be able to actually travel to the same campground with our RVs and say hello in person!
Ken Wagnitz #21315
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Another update, V8 van dash is now talking to ECU, so dash is all good (apart from an intermittent tacho fault). Haven't converted it to petrol yet (from LPG), although I have everything ready.
Bedford truck has had its first engineer inspection, all good so far. Engine and transmission is down at Castlemaine getting a wiring loom made and ECU altered to suit.
Mower is still going fine, though uneeded over summer.
Sidecar came off for a while, as I like solo riding. I have remade the mounting brackets so it is now removeable by undoing four bolts and unplugging the wiring via a trailer plug. takes about 20 minutes. I have road tested this combination out (on a private road of course) to just under 100MPH, it's perfectly stable, hands off the bars at 100 KPH on the highway has no ill effects at all.
I pulled one of the bikes out of the container, the FT500 Honda, thinking of putting it on Club Plates. It's hit a snag, no spark. More work required.
Paul Butler #17758
Spook

Post by Spook »

The trials and tribulations will keep you thinking, Paul.
Almost Normal Spook #4793
olfrt

Post by olfrt »

Things are still moving along here. I've decided to retire the van.
I've replaced it with a Commodore ute, V6 on LPG and petrol.
The Bedford project is still marching along, busy rebuilding the Jag front end, replacing all bushes and ball joints, making it brand new again. I hit a snag for a while, I couldn't get new lower inner bolts for the lower wishbones, and the old ones were rusted in place. I had to cut some 'windows' in the bottom of the crossmember to access the tubes the bolts went through, then drill holes in them to spray CRC in to try and release the bolts. These 'bolts' are about 14" long and various stepped diameters along their length. I finally located some new ones, and belted the old ones out with a BIG hammer and punch. I had to hit them out the wrong way, which meant I moved them a few inches, then cut them off with the oxy torch until they were out. That operation sounds reasonably easy, but took 2 days.!! Then I welded the 'windows' back in and cleaned it all up had it sandblasted and am now putting it back together. There are a few more hours left doing chassis work, I've welded up about 60 holes in the chassis, then ground them smooth. They must have used these chassis for many different combinations (hence all the holes). This is all keeping me off the streets. :D
The mower is going well.
The FT500 is giving me grief. I replaced the tyres, and a few other bits to get it ready for classic rego, then discovered it won't go, (no spark). These bkes have a complex electrical system, so i've left it at the back of the shed for awhile.
Wait for the next episode.
Paul Butler #17758