Re: Coronavirus fun

Post by Spook »

warren79.jpg
warren79.jpg (428.32 KiB) Viewed 6386 times
Almost Normal Spook #4793
Ken

Post by Ken »

Good one, Spook. I wonder if the current situation will result in Oz reducing its dependence on China?
(Says Ken, waiting on delivery of cheap Chinese electronics modules.)
Ken Wagnitz #21315
Yankee in Oz

Post by Yankee in Oz »

Ken wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 am Good one, Spook. I wonder if the current situation will result in Oz reducing its dependence on China?
(Says Ken, waiting on delivery of cheap Chinese electronics modules.)
My last few eBay purchases have all been from Australian shops. Paid more than I would have from China, but I didn't want to wait a month or more, and also kept telling myself, "This is principle."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Likewise Dean, but only because I wanted to get them inside a week, instead of a couple of months that many Chinese sellers manage.
But the items still came from China. So the seller in Australia bought them from China, then sold them to me for a hefty margin.
I'm trying different items. If one is a big hit, then I'll order a bunch from Aliexpress or eBay, sourced from China. Meanwhile I've got a couple of each to play with. -I'm having fun.

I couldn't buy Australian-made versions of these things if I wanted to. I might be able to buy European versions, but they are probably manufactured in China anyway.
Ken Wagnitz #21315
Ken

Post by Ken »

ugly.jpg
ugly.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
Ken Wagnitz #21315
Yankee in Oz

Post by Yankee in Oz »

:lol:

Yes, China basically has a monopoly on most manufacturing, has benefited greatly from capitalism, and is still a pirate and producer of cheap junk. The west needs to abandon globalization and reestablish manufacturing facilities and capabilities.
Cster

Post by Cster »

How they got to make everything we purchase is we let them. I cant see Australia holding off buying stuff until we can supply it ourselves, just the saem as I cant see out youth workers taking the jobs on the Harvest trail off the migrant workers here known as backpackers/Islanders. Just aint gonna happen.
I need new undies and the only ones made here are merino undies at $48 each, and no reports as to whether they are any good. Sheesh!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Our rides have been going for a while.
July we start our monthly meetings. Will talk about monthly dinners and breakfasts then.

Sorry Victorians, too many sickies, you are going backwards!
(It will now be that much longer before I see my daughter in Melbourne.)
Ken Wagnitz #21315